AMP S2E7: Karen LaBarr - Seeing God's Sovereignty in Motion in Your Adopted Kids
Episode one of this season featured a woman who was adopted at birth and now spends her days advocating for birth mothers as they make he hardest decisions of their lives. Christy Harmon attributes her passion for birth moms to her parents and the love and grace they had for her biological parents.
As Christy was telling me about her mom's complete faith in God's sovereignty as she was growing up, I knew I had to have her on the show. As adoptive parents, we tend to let fear of our kids' bio parents and their history drive many of our decisions and emotions instead of leaning on God to go before us and work everything out for His good.
In our interview, Karen and I discussed faith, raising our adopted kids into adulthood, and having the hard conversations with them. I hope you love this chat with a seasoned adoptive mom!
- Karen mentions a book called "Telling the Truth to Your Adopted or Foster Child" that helped jer and her husband immensely when raising their kids. You can check out and/or purchase that book here.
- For more about Lifeline and what they do, click here.
- Project Zero puts the real live faces of children who are available for adoption in front of the families looking to provide forever homes for them. They travel around the state promoting their dream of having Zero waiting children in Arkansas. You can check out their website here and their Facebook here.
- Grace Haven Ministries offers support and services for adoptive families in the trenches. I can say this from personal experience. We were at the end of our rope with this business and Grace Haven's director of counseling services was at our house within an hour... FO FREE. She talked us off the ledge and provided us with some great resources for moving forward. Seriously, reach out to them with your concerns and struggles TODAY. Visit their website here and their Facebook page here.
- The CALL trains, equips, and supports foster and adoptive families. You heard from the director in NWA, Ann in the first episode of this podcast. They are great and you should check them out. They have no-commitment info-meeting regularly if you just want to gather more information about adopting from the foster care system, and they provide the complete training you need to become an open home. Check out their website here and their Facebook page here.